The Sri Chinmoy National Capital Swim for 2014 – celebrating the 50th anniversary of Lake Burley Griffin – was staged in Canberra on Sunday 30 November 2014. Full results, by category and overall, follow:
Records tumbled in a calm lake as swimmers celebrated the 50th anniversary of Canberra’s centrepiece Lake Burley Griffin in style, covering its entire 9km length in the 11th annual Sri Chinmoy National Capital Swim.
Making his debut at this race, 17-year-old Benjamin Freeman swam the fastest time without wetsuit assistance of 1:53:44 (including record times for 3 of the 4 relay legs en route); while the swimmer whose time he beat, Oliver Bourne – who today chose to wear a wetsuit – returned the swiftest time ever of 1:50:04 (and 2 of the 4 relay leg records for one wearing a wetsuit). Oliver led from the outset, with Benjamin never more than a few minutes behind, the pair offering a tandem masterclass in swimming with grace and strength.
Other records to fall included:
* Male 50-59; John Fox (2:09:06)
* Female 60-69; Janet Gorst (3:08:36)
* Female 50-59; Jannion De Tomasso (2:40:29)
* Mixed Relay Team; Team GLAN (1:55:54, including new leg records for fastest male in leg 1 to Adam Rudgley with his 21:04; and fastest female in leg 4 to Grace Hoitink for her 21:57).
A record solo field of 40 swimmers (later joined by 18 relay teams) started the morning from Scrivener Point (near Scrivener Dam), with relay transition points at Weston Park west beach, Yarralumla Bay swimming beach and Commonwealth Place, finishing the 9 km length-of-the-lake at Grevillea Park beach, not far from the head of the lake.
Despite a few light showers, almost windless conditions made for a smooth lake and swift, untroubled swimming.
Aside from the record-breaking performances mentioned above, other category winners were:
* Female Under 50; Jenna Freeman (2:05:37) (3rd outright without a wetsuit)
* Female Under 50; Alison Taylor (2:52:01)
* Female 60-69; Helen Rubin (3:41:09)
* Male 50-59; Stuart Hodge (2:51:24)
* Male 80 and Over; Geoff Llewellyn (3:09:46)
* All-Male Team – CRUIZ'n'it (Haydn Valle & Brandon Pyke), 2:17:31
* All-Female Team – Viking Youngsters (Lisa Moore, Anne Smyth, Suzie Gunning, Nicolee Martin), 2:39:40
Full results – both by category and overall – are published, along with a spectacular photo album from an unforgettable morning.