Sri Chinmoy Tan Team Relays
Combined team relay and individual race on Mebourne's iconic Tan Track
About the event
Welcome to the Tan Team Relays — a combined team relay and an individual race all in one. The race will be staged at the Pillars of Wisdom, a well-known runners’ landmark on the Tan Track, the iconic running route around Melbourne’s Botanic Gardens. Here’s how it works . . .
Teams: There are 4 members in a team. A team can be all male, all female or mixed (at least 1 male and 1 female per mixed team). There are 5 team award categories including: social, corporate, fitness club, baby vets (40-59) and super vets (60+).
The race consists of 11 laps (42.1km) of the Tan. Each team will be given a baton to carry. Team members carry the baton while running and pass it to the next team member in the transition zone at the Pillars of Wisdom. The only rules of the race are that the baton must be exchanged every lap and each runner must run a minimum of two laps.
Why 11 laps? It is almost exactly the marathon distance. Plus it also makes it interesting for teams to work out a strategy for covering the distance. The timing chip will be attached to the baton as a way of keeping track of laps.
Individuals: You can enter as an individual in the 11-lap (42.1km), 3-lap (11.48km) race or 1-lap (3.83km) race. Our regular award categories apply for these races.
Get together a group of friends, colleagues, classmates, gym buddies or family for an awesome morning of running in the heart of the city.
Team Relay 42.1km (11 laps)
- $120 per team of 4
- On the day: $160 per team of 4
- View course map »
Individual 11.48km (3 laps)
- Online: $30
- On the day: $35 ($25 conc.)
- View course map »
Individual 3.83km (1 lap)
How to Enter
- Each team nominates a team captain to enter and organise the team. You can enter either as a single team (eg. as four friends in the social category) or you can enter multiple teams from the same organisation (eg. as members of a fitness centre)
- All teams must pick up their race numbers and baton on race morning from 7.00am
- Online entry closes....TBC
- Race numbers are picked up on race morning from 7am at the venue
- Cash and credit cards are NOT accepted for on-the-day entries; online registration remains open until 15 minutes before the start of each event
- A 10% concession discount is automatically applied for ages U19 and 60+
- Early Bird pricing is available up until 2 months before race day
- Standard pricing is available until 1 week before race day
Team Relay: first, second and third male team, female team and mixed team awards in the following categories:
- Fitness Club
- Baby Vets (40-59)
- Super Vets (60+)
Winners and place-getters will receive awards.
3-Lap and 1-Lap: male and female first, second and third overall and in the following categories:
- The event will feature chip timing. A disposable timing chip will come affixed to the back race of the race bibs of individual entrants, and inside the team baton for team entrants. A $5 reissue fee is required for replacement of a race number
- Accurate AA measured, traffic-free course
- Drink stations every 2km equipped with electrolyte and water
- First aid services are provided by Sports Medicine Australia
- Toilets are available at the start/finish area
Plenty of unrestricted parking is available near-by in Alexandra Avenue.
Results, photos and the race report will be posted online after the event.
All pre-entered competitors will receive an email with links to the results and photographs in the week following the event.
About the Organisers
The Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team
Serving the athletic community for over 40 years...
Team Founder Sri Chinmoy
A lifelong advocate of fitness and self-transcendence...